- 字尾 (Suffix)SUF-ing
- Used to form gerunds, a type of verbal nouns, from verbs.
- the making of the film; the forging of the sword took several hours of planning, preparation, and metalwork
- Used to form uncountable nouns from various parts of speech denoting materials or systems of objects considered collectively.
- Roofing is a material that covers a roof.
- Piping is a system of pipes considered collectively.
- Used to form present participles of verbs.
- Rolling stones gather no moss.
- You are making a mess.
- Forming derivative nouns (originally masculine), with the sense ‘son of, belonging to’, as patronymics or diminutives. No longer productive in either sense.
- Browning, Channing, Ewing
- Having a specifed quality, characteristic, or nature; of the kind of.
- The purpose of the tramper is to pack the lint into the press box under the restraining dogs near the top end of the press box.
Meaning of -ing for the defined word.
- 词类阶层 (Part-of-Speech Hierarchy)
困难度: 级别 7
容易 ➨ 困难
明确性: 级别 9
明确的 ➨ 多用途
- fr -ing